8-10 cup Chemex
Grind: coarse, as if for French press
Water Benchmarks: 180g | 380g | 960g
Active Pour Time: 3.5-5 minutes
Total Brew Time: 5.5 minutes
6 cup Chemex
Grind: medium to coarse
Water Benchmarks: 135g | 335g | 700g
Active Pour Time: 3-3.5 minutes
Total Brew Time: 4.5 minutes
3 Cup Chemex
Water Benchmarks: 66g | 166g | 360g
Active Pour Time: 2.5 minutes
Total Brew Time: 3-3.5 minutes
- Fold your Chemex filter and place it in the brewer so that the cone has three layers on the pouring spout side.
- Pre-wet the filter with hot water to wash out any papery taste and warm the brew equipment. Discard water after use. (Pro tip, lift filter slightly away from the back and pour out excess water to keep the triple folded area over the spout from wrinkling.)
- Dose freshly ground coffee into the center of the filter and shake the brewer gently to settle the grounds.
- Using a spoon, make a little divot (like a small volcano) in the center of the bed of grounds.
- Place the Chemex on the scale and tare to 0.
- Start your timer and vigorously add triple your dry coffee dose of water directly to the center of the volcano, being sure to wet all the grounds. Your scale should read:
8-10 Cup 180g | 6 Cup 135g | 3 cup 66g
Allow the coffee to “bloom”, or off-gas, for 30-40 seconds (the older the coffee, the shorter the bloom time).
- After bloom, add additional water till you reach your second water benchmark. Your scale should read:
8-10 Cup 380g | 6 Cup 335g | 3 cup 166g
Pour slowly, starting in the center of the grounds and spiraling outwards being careful to hit all the coffee evenly.
- Now maintain this water level, gently adding a little bit of water every ten seconds or so.
- Stop pouring when you’ve hit your total yield. This should happen around the end of your active pour time. Your scale should read:
8-10 Cup 960g | 6 Cup 700g | 3 cup 360g
- Allow the coffee to “drop” or drain out into the lower chamber before removing the filter. This should finish around your total brew time.
- Discard filter and grounds, swirl the Chemex, pour, and enjoy!