With their unique triple filtering, the Chemex produces a clean, balanced cup. Elegant and timeless, Chemex brewers are available in four sizes: 10-cup, 8-cup, 6-cup and 3-cup. This recipe is for a 10-cup Chemex!
About Chemex Brewing
40g of New Harvest Coffee
Medium Coarse (think Kosher Salt)
What you need
- Chemex brewer
- Chemex filter
- Digital Scale
- Poking tool
- Coffee cup
- Fold your Chemex filter and place it in the brewer so that the conical filter has three layers on the pouring spout side. Pre-wet your filter with hot water to wash out the filter’s paper taste and to warm the brew equipment. Discard water after use.
- Place your brewer on the scale and tare to 0.
- Dose your freshly ground New Harvest coffee into the center of the filter. Shake the brewer gently to settle the ground before using a spoon to make a small divot in the center of the grounds.
- Confirm that your dose is correct then tare the scale to 0 again. Start your timer.
- Starting at the center of the grounds, vigorously add 120g of water in an outward spiral.
- Allow the coffee to bloom, or off-gas, for 30-40 seconds. After the bloom, begin adding water in steady outward spirals until you reach 320g.
- Now, maintain this water level, gently adding water approximately 10 second intervals until you’ve hit your total yield, 640g. This should happen close to the end of your total brew time.
- Allow the coffee to drip through before removing the filter and grounds. Discard the filter, swirl your Chemex, pour and enjoy!